High School Teacher
I am a high school social studies teacher at Enumclaw High School in Enumclaw, Washington (south of Seattle). Some of my most memorable moments in the classroom have come from helping guide my students to become more aware of the local and global community around and available to them. It is an amazing feeling to witness the authentic service of my students when they give back to their community. Integrating the advancements in technology into our daily classroom routine has revolutionized our classroom experience. Through our involvement with the AP with WE program we have been able to make connections for my students with those in need in our local community as well as those globally.
Additionally, I have been able to be a part of the Enumclaw School Districts implementation and journey to bring one-to-one devices for all students grade 6-12 by serving as an Instructional Technology Facilitator and a Connected Classroom Teacher. I’ve been able to model the increased integration of technology within our curriculum, as well as helping to serve as a trainer and resource for other teachers. Additionally, I have implemented blogging in the high school classroom to help my students begin to enhance and celebrate the great work they are doing to a global audience in an authentic environment.
As an educator in the 21st Century, it is our responsibility to present our lessons and classroom experience in a way that not only meets the needs of the 21st Century learner, but also prepares them for life beyond school. Google Classroom and connected devices have helped to make this possible in the classroom and it has transformed me as an educator. The possibilities for what we can achieve in the classroom are endless and exciting!
- Coaching – This area is as much a passion for me as teaching in the classroom. As a baseball coach for 23+ years and a golf coach, I believe that many life lessons can be learned about leadership, handling success, adversity and working together through involvement in athletic programs.
- History – Much can be learned about our present and much can be understood about future decisions by being aware of our past, both as individuals and as part of a global community.
- Golf – You will find me on the golf course as often as I can find time. The scenery, the game and the challenge is something I truly enjoy each opportunity I get to play.
- Sports Fan – Most everyday of my life has involved participating or watching in athletics. I am a passionate sports fan, especially for my hometown Seattle Seahawks, Seattle Mariners and, my alma mater, the University of Washington Huskies. Go Hawks, M’s and Dawgs!
- Travel – What an incredible global community we all are a part of! I look forward to continue to expand my borders of travel to see more of this beautiful, global community and the amazing people.
Awards, Accolades, Honors
- Civic Education Award Nominee, Washington State OSPI (2012)
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers (2004-2005)
- Coaching Hall of Fame Inductee, Federal Way Public Schools Athletic Hall of Fame (2014)
- Masters Degree – Teaching & Learning (Nova Southeastern University)
- Washington State Teaching Endorsements: Social Studies, History & Political Science (Central Washington University)
- Bachelor of Arts Degrees – Communications & Political Science (University of Washington)
“Google Classroom provides the platform to change the classroom environment, but it takes the willingness of the educator to allow students to become the center of the learning. The Teaching with Google Classroom series will help you to create these exciting opportunities and to move your classroom experience into the 21st Century.”