Learn how to help students identify and interpret the messages, points of view, and purposes of the media they consume so that they have the literacy skills make critical choices.
The goal of this course is to provide teachers with tools and strategies to help students apply critical literacy skills to the multimedia world they inhabit. This is not a course in how to identify a fake news story but a way of reading, viewing and seeing that helps students identify and interpret the messages, points of view, and purposes of the media they consume. This course will provide you with a foundation for teaching your students how to develop their digital critical literacy skills to help them become active, purposeful viewers and creators.
– Introduction to Critical Literacy: How to ‘read’ digital texts
– Search and Research
– What is News and How do We ‘Read’ It?
– The Stories in Social Networks
– Digital Personal Narratives
– Digital Media Literacy in the Classroom